How to Pass the Fire Inspection
Fire Inspection Checklist
The following list is comprised of some of the most common fire code violations found during inspections. Please be sure to walk through your facility and correct any items listed below.
- Combustible material shall not be stored in boiler rooms, mechanical rooms or electrical equipment rooms.
- Combustible materials shall not be stored in exits or exit enclosures.
- Combustible storage shall be at least 2 feet below the ceiling or 18 inches below sprinkler heads.
- Compressed gas containers, cylinders and tanks shall be secured to prevent falling.
- Exit ways and doors shall not be visually or physically obstructed.
- Exit ways and doors shall be unlocked when building is occupied.
- Exit signs shall be illuminated.
- Emergency lighting systems shall be functional.
- All fire lanes, hydrants, fire department connections (F.D.C.) and control valves shall be clear and unobstructed.
- Sprinkler and/or fire alarm systems shall be serviced annually.
- Fire protection systems shall be maintained in an operative condition at all times and repaired when defective.
- The building address shall be clearly visible from the street, at a minimum of 6 inches in height with a contrasting background.
- Fire resistance-rated construction shall be maintained.
- Emergency lighting must be tested monthly and records must be maintained.
- Keys up to date in Knox Key Box (if required).
- A working space of no less than 30 inches wide (or width of equipment), 36 inches deep and 78 inches high shall be provided in front of electrical service equipment. No storage shall be kept within this designated work space.
- Relocatable power taps (outlet strip) shall be polarized or grounded, equipped with over-current protection and shall be listed.
- Relocatable power taps shall be directly connected to a permanently installed receptacle.
- Relocatable power tap cords and extension cords shall not extend through walls, ceilings, floors, under doors or floor coverings, or be subject to environmental or physical damage.
- Extension cords and flexible cords shall not be a substitute for permanent wiring.
- Electrical panels marked (breakers and multiple panels).
Portable Fire Extinguishers
- A minimum of one 2A-10:BC portable fire extinguisher shall be provided within 75 feet of travel distance from anywhere in the business on each floor.
- Fire extinguishers shall not be obstructed and shall be in a conspicuous location.
- Fire extinguishers shall be mounted on walls with hanger or in an approved cabinet.
- All fire extinguishers shall be serviced annually.