Chief of Police
December 15, 2016
Kernersville is centrally located between Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and High Point, and has a population of over 23,000 people. It is a thriving community that has all the conveniences of the larger surrounding cities and still maintains the small-town atmosphere that makes Kernersville unique.
The Kernersville Police Department and its personnel envision a community where all citizens enjoy the highest quality of life that is free of crime and disorder. This is accomplished by providing outstanding police services in a legal, ethical, and professional manner. The Kernersville Police Department strives to enhance its reputation and practice of delivering “A Higher Level of Service”.
Due to retirement, the Town of Kernersville, North Carolina, operating under a Council-Manager form of government, is seeking a Police Chief who is visionary and has a demonstrated history of innovative leadership. The Kernersville Police Department has a long-standing reputation as a highly responsive department with staff who are an active part of the community.
Kernersville residents have a sense of pride in the community. Throughout its history and continuing today, Kernersville has retained its small-town friendliness; its sense of place and historic roots; and the thoughtful integration of commercial areas with the fabric of the town. The community is conveniently located within a few hours of the coast and the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.
Position description and responsibilities
Reporting to the Town Manager, the Police Chief is responsible for planning, directing, implementing, and evaluating the activities of the Police Department. The Police Chief will be responsible for leading a Department in a community that expects high levels of service and engagement. The Department is CALEA Accredited at the advanced level. The Department has a $10.6 Million Budget, 70 sworn personnel, and 18 support personnel. The ideal candidate will be a strong leader who will work well with Elected Officials and the Town’s Management Team and will be experienced and confident in managing all areas of a full-service police department to include a Communications Center that serves as a Secondary Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP). More information about the department can be found at www.toknc.com/pages/default.aspx.
The successful candidate is:
- Skilled in developing trust among members of the community and the police department while leveraging opportunities for collaborative problem solving and partnerships;
- Able to cultivate a strong, effective leadership team within the Department, to include succession planning;
- An outstanding communicator who speaks clearly, assertively, and transparently with internal and external stakeholders;
- Proactive in developing and supporting staff to achieve excellence through increased training, responsibility, productivity, morale, and retention;
- An innovative partner with other Town Departments and Community Leaders;
- Experienced across functional areas: patrol, support services, investigations, and other specialized units;
- Knowledgeable of the CALEA: accreditation status and the different areas that are involved in accreditation;
- Knowledgeable regarding the use of intelligence-led policing, use of technology to predict and prevent crime, and community oriented policing;
- Consistently updating personal knowledge regarding public policy, public perception, and law enforcement trends (e.g. 21st Century Policing);
- Appreciative of the significance of diversity within all aspects of the department and community and has innovative solutions to attracting, retaining and promoting diversity;
- An outstanding communicator both verbally and in writing;
- Able to engage the community and members of the Department;
- Able to maintain public confidence in the integrity of the Department
Ideal candidate would have a Bachelor’s Degree in criminal justice, public administration, or other relevant field, and fifteen (15) years of progressive law enforcement experience to include five (5) years of management level experience at the rank of Lieutenant or higher; or any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities of a law enforcement executive. Individuals must have current certification as a local or state law enforcement officer or equivalent military law enforcement MOS certification. Retired individuals must not have longer than a one (1) year break in full-time law enforcement service at
Individuals must have current certification as a local or state law enforcement officer or equivalent military law enforcement MOS certification. Retired individuals must not have longer than a one (1) year break in full-time law enforcement service at time of appointment. North Carolina does not have reciprocity with Federal law enforcement certifications.
Hiring range is $78,411 – $94,860 (beginning salary will be commensurate with experience.) The City offers a highly competitive benefits package.
To apply, you must complete an online application via Developmental Associates’ online system (or copy and paste https://www.developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/ into your browser). Resumes may be uploaded to the system but will not be accepted in lieu of a fully completed application. All inquiries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application closing date is December 15, 2016. An assessment center will be held in Kernersville for selected finalists on January 19-20, 2017. The Town of Kernersville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The recruitment and selection process is being managed by Developmental Associates, LLC.