If you are starting a new business or relocating an existing business in Kernersville

Step 1:

Obtain a Building Use Permit from the Community Development Department.  This permit ensures all relevant building and zoning requirements are met.  Before you spend any money specific to a particular location, it is very important that you make sure that the type of business you wish to conduct is located within an acceptable zoning district even if it is located within your home. Do not start to build, buy items to start your business, or sign a lease only to later find out your business is prohibited.  Once obtained, Building Use Permits are not required to be updated on a yearly basis if your business does not change locations.  However, a new Building Use Permit is required if your business moves to a new location at any time.

Step 2:

Obtain a Sign Permit. Each business is required to obtain a permit for any ground, projecting, or wall signage.  This permit is separate from the Building Use Permit.  It is also important for businesses to follow the Town’s Sign Ordinance.

Once you have your Building Use Permit and Sign Permit, you have met your legal obligations with the Town of Kernersville. Here are some other things to consider or address as it relates to your business…

Getting Your Taxes in Order

If your business is going to have sales, a Sales & Use Tax number is required.  If your business will have employees, a Federal Employer Identification number and a North Carolina Withholding number are needed. Applications for both numbers are available from the North Carolina Department of Commerce website. The Department of Commerce also offers many other services to help businesses get off the ground.

Making Your Business Official

A business can organize itself in various ways. Sole proprietorships and partnerships that do business under the assumed name must be filed with the Forsyth County Register of Deeds, which can be contacted at (336) 703-2701. You will also need to register in any other counties in which you will operate. Corporations must file Articles of Incorporation with the North Carolina Secretary of State Corporations Division, which can be reached at (919) 807-2225. An attorney is recommended to insure that all legal issues are properly handled.

Small Business Loans and Support

The Small Business Administration (800-827-5722) can provide you with helpful loan information along with local banks. The Department of Commerce may also be able to point you in the right direction. Forsyth Tech has a Small Business Center that is located at 525 Vine Street in Winston-Salem. The Center is open to the public. Their experienced staff can provide reliable information, solid advice, training, one-on-one counseling and business contacts. For more information, call 336-757-3810 or email: sbc@forsythtech.edu.

Opening your Business

Remember, once you have opened your business you are now a part of the Kernersville business community. An important consideration is membership in the Kernersville Chamber of Commerce (336-993-4521) as a gateway into the community.