Use and Occupancy Permit Information
Use and Occupancy Permits are for businesses making little or no changes to the space and can be issued under criteria listed below. You will know the type of permit you need after the pre-submittal meeting with staff. The issuance and successful completion of a Use and Occupancy Permit generates a Certificate of Occupancy and allows a new business to operate legally in the Town of Kernersville. No other business license is required, and businesses are not required to update their permit unless there is a change in location.
A Use and Occupancy Permit can be issued for new businesses that meet the following criteria:
- The occupancy class is the same as the previous tenant use, or less hazardous than the previous tenant use based on life and fire risk as defined in section 1012 of the North Carolina Existing Building Code.
- The scope of work does not exceed replacing or covering existing materials, elements, equipment, or fixtures (damaged or intact) using new materials, elements, equipment, or fixtures that serve the same purpose (Level 1 Alterations and Repairs).
- All zoning, land use, and watershed regulations are met.
Prior to issuance of a Use and Occupancy Permit, the applicant must:
- Submit an online application through the Town’s ViewPoint permitting system.
- Participate in a pre-approval conference with a zoning official to determine if the new business is and will continue to be compliant with all zoning, land use, and watershed regulations.
- A detailed site plan is required for businesses that include outdoor elements, such as parts or equipment storage, or parking requirements are in question.
After the required application and conference, the remainder of the permit process is as follows:
- Payment of the $137 permit fee.
- Inspection from a building, fire, and zoning officials.
- Issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy.
Once a Certificate of Occupancy is issued, your business is legal and you may commence operations.
Applying for a Permit
Follow these steps to apply for either a Building Use Permit or Commercial Building Permit:
- Go to the Town of Kernersville online permitting page at https://kernersvillenc.viewpointcloud.com/.
- In the upper right-hand corner, click log in and choose “Sign up”.
- Enter your email address and enter what you would like your password to be. Passwords must have at least 8 characters and include 1 upper case letter, 1 lower case letter, and 1 digit. Log on. If you do not remember your credentials at any time, click on “Don’t remember your password?” to reset your information.
- You can then proceed with applying for a permit. During the application process, you will be able to complete your profile. Alternatively, after logging on, you can go back to the upper right-hand corner, click your icon (your initials), and select “Your Profile”. Complete your profile by adding your name, phone number and address. You will only need to complete your profile once, as it will be saved.
Please note: You can turn on or off email notifications or reset your password by going to “My Account” then select “Profile” followed by “Edit Profile”. We recommend leaving email notifications turned on since you will be notified by email when communicating the City throughout the permitting process.
- Once you are logged in, follow the steps on each page to complete the permit applications.
Once reviewed and approved, you will receive an email informing you that your fees are ready to be paid. Once the fees are paid, you will receive another email with your e-permit. If you would like a larger permit placard to put in the window of your job (recommended), you may pick one up at the Community Development office in Town Hall. At the appropriate times during the project, it will be necessary for the Town to inspect the progress to verify compliance with the Building Code. You can schedule inspections online in ViewPoint, or by calling (336) 996-7166. Once the improvements are completed and approved, you will receive a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) or Certificate of Completion (CC) from the Town.