What does the Stormwater Infoline do?
Call the Stormwater Infoline at (336) 564-1600 for:
- Reporting a spill, unlawful dumping or an illegal connection
- To learn more about stormwater management, erosion solutions, and drainage issues
- Information about Town ordinances related to water quality, stormwater and drainage
- To schedule an educational presentation or request education materials
What is Unlawful Dumping?
Only rain belongs in the storm drain. Dumping paint, soap or other chemicals, trash, and other materials into storm drains, gutters, lakes and other waterways is illegal.
Storm drains flow directly into creeks, streams, rivers, ponds and lakes. Examples of illegal discharges and connections are:
- Paint being poured into or near a storm drain or structure
- Changing oil or antifreeze over or near a storm structure
- Discarding yard waste in or near a storm structure
- A pipe from a washing machine emptying into a storm drain structure
- A sewer service pipe emptying into a storm structure
The Town can issue warnings or fines depending on the severity of the violation.