Public Records Request
A public record is any state or local record relating to the conduct of government or the performance of a government function, and which is prepared or retained by any state or local agency. The record may be in a variety of forms such as writing, a recording, a picture, an electronic disk, a magnetic tape, etc.
Public Records Policy
All records maintained by the Town of Kernersville are available for public inspection unless specifically exempted by law. You are entitled to access public records and to receive copies of those records upon paying the costs of making the copy.
Specific information may be necessary to process your request. We may require information necessary to establish if disclosure would violate certain provisions of law.
The more precisely you can identify the record(s) you seek, the more responsive we can be. The Town of Kernersville provides access to existing public records in its possession; however, the Town is not required to collect information or organize data to create a record not existing at the time of the request.
Submitting a Public Records Request
Online – PDF VERSION
To submit a public records request online. If you are unable to complete our interactive form please fill out the PDF version and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Public records requests may also be submitted in person at Town Hall.
Town Hall is located at 134 East Mountain St. Kernersville NC and is open from 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday.
Public Records Request Response Procedure
The Town will respond to your request within a reasonable time frame. When the record(s) are compiled you will be notified by the Town. The Town will do one or more of the following in responding to your request:
- The Town will make the record(s) available for inspection or copying during normal business hours.
- The Town will identify an online location of where the record(s) can be accessed. Requestors who cannot access the internet may be provided hard copies.
- If the requester is unclear or does not sufficiently identify the requested record(s), the Town will request clarification from the requester. Such clarification may be requested and provided by telephone. The staff person responding to the request may revise the estimate of when the record(s) will be available.
- The Town may deny the request pursuant to NC State Law. G.S 132
If fees are due, the fees must be paid before the record(s) will be provided.
- 8.5” x 11” and 8.5” x 14”- Black and White copies- $0.15/Per Page
- 8.5” x 11” and 8.5” x 14”- Color copies- $0.25/Per Page
- 11” X 17”- Black and White copies- $0.20/Per Page
- 11” x 17”- Color Copies- $0.30/Per Page
- Burned copy of CD- $1.00/ Per Copy
- Postage including envelopes and/or packaging- Actual Cost
If, at the Town’s discretion, materials need to be copied by an outside source, either due to volume, current workload of Town staff, or any other reason, the requester will be charged the actual amount invoiced to the Town by the copying vendor.
If payment arrangements are not made within 10 business days of notice that the records are available, the entire request shall be deemed abandoned and closed by the Town.