Kernersville Fire Rescue Department’s mission includes preventing harm in our community. We have programs and services intended to help meet that goal. The department offers a wide variety of safety programs to schools, churches, businesses and civic groups.
Download the new Kernersville Fire Rescue Smartphone app today!
Access the app with the below link and just hit add to home screen!
Fire Extinguisher Training
Would you know how to use a fire extinguisher if you needed to? Do you know if you had the right kind of extinguisher, if you don’t, the problem could get worse. Are you comfortable with using an extinguisher?
If you answered no to any of these questions, this program is for you. The fire extinguisher training program is designed to give you the needed general knowledge about fires and fire extinguishers.
The program has two different sections:
- The classroom presentation
- The “hands on” training
Some of the topics that are covered during the training are:
- Fire Classifications
- Types of Fire Extinguishers
- General Rules for Use of Extinguisher
- “Hands On” Live Fire Training
This program can be presented to age groups from 12 and up. We can come to your location or we can host it at the fire station.
S.A.F.F.E. (Senior Adult Fall and Fire Education) Program
The Kernersville Fire Rescue Department hopes to improve the health and safety of older adults in our community by educating the public on ways to reduce falls and prevent injuries. Our free program can be scheduled for senior living communities, churches, volunteer organizations, etc. Some of the topics that are covered during the S.A.F.F.E training are:
- Kitchen/Cooking Safety
- Fire prevention
- Fall prevention
- Oxygen safety
- EDITH (Exit Drills In The Home)
- Smoke alarm checks/installation
- Fire extinguisher education
Juvenile Fire Intervention
Fire curiosity is a normal part of life but often this curiosity gets out of control. The purpose of this program is to educate at risk juveniles on the dangers of fire and the consequences that could occur. This program is available for individual or group presentations as we strive to significantly reduce the number of intentionally set fires that juveniles are responsible for.
General Fire Safety
Do you know when to check the batteries in your smoke detectors? Do you have an escape plan for your home? Do you practice your escape plan? Do you know what to do if your clothes catch fire? If the answer to any of these questions is “no”, then this class is for you. Learn about common fire hazards and ways to keep your home safe from fire.
Fire Station Tours
We are always happy to have groups tour our stations to learn more about our department’s facilities, equipment and services.
Designed to help families prepare for natural and man-made disasters by explaining what to expect, what to do before help arrives, what supplies are needed and how/where to seek shelter.
Public Safety Services
The department will install smoke alarms for residents of the Town of Kernersville that meet these requirements:
- You are a resident of the Town of Kernersville, NC.
- You must be a homeowner and living in that home (not rental property), except in the cases of deaf or hard-of-hearing residents requesting DHH alarm units (these units are available to any deaf or hard-of-hearing (DHH) resident over the age of four regardless of whether their home is owned or rented). NOTE: If you live in an apartment building, or renting a home it is the responsibility, (by state law) of the landlord to provide smoke alarms. North Carolina General Statute 42-42 governs the installation of smoke alarms in residential rental properties. Deaf or Hard of Hearing residents may request a DHH alarm unit from the fire department.
- You otherwise could not afford to purchase smoke alarms. NOTE: Residents who can afford smoke alarms, the department is willing to assist with installation.
Child Safety Seat Inspections
The Child Safety Seat Inspection program assists parents, grandparents and other guardians of small children in the correct installation and maintenance of car and booster seats.